Just In Time

Just In Time

Random Thoughts While Watching "The Host"

Saturday, April 06, 2013
Random thoughts while watching "The Host" (this is not a review, just random notes):


(1) I know I am not a movie critic, but I do want to pay my respect to the dearly departed Roger Ebert. While doing research for the movie before going into the cinema, I read that this movie was the last film reviewed by the famous movie critic, who passed away on April 4, 2013. He wrote "<The Host> is top-heavy with profound, sonorous conversations, all tending to sound like farewells." and gave the film 2.5 stars out of 4.

(2) And so it's a good thing that I know this film is critically panned, holding only 10% 'rotten' rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I went in the movie fully prepared. Hey, I'm watching a film adaptation of a novel written by the woman behind the Twilight series. What do I expect?

(3) This movie really should be renamed "The Kiss". There are like 10 scenes of kissing cramped in a 2-hour movie. Okay, I didn't actually count it, but you get my point. In Malaysia, this movie should be renamed "The Kiss: All Kissing Scenes Will Be Censored Out".

(4) Stephenie Meyer really can't resist to put in a love-triangle in her every book, and the parties involved in it are never all human. The love-triangle in this film is not really a triangle, as it actually involves four souls though only three bodies. You need to watch it or at least read the story to understand my statement.

(5) Saoirse Ronan, this lady is a treasure. Ever since Atonement she has consistently given good performances, even in not-so-good movies like City of Ember and The Lovely Bones. Her performance in this movie reminds me of her other film "Hanna", which is good as I love that film. Few actresses can convincingly be strong and vulnerable at the same time.

(6) Wonder if Twilight would be a good movie if they cast Saoirse Ronan in the lead. But that series' problems are way bigger than Kristen Stewart. It's the story itself, so you can cast anyone in the lead and the movies are still bad.

(7) Beautiful scenes make this movie more watchable. Have no idea a desert can look so beautiful.

(8) Beautiful music also makes this movie more bearable, especially in some cheesy scenes. The Melanie-Wanda goodbye scene, yes I'm talking about you. Additional note: the girl sitting two seats from me was crying during this scene.

(9) So there's no epic battle at the end. Diane Kruger was simply captured and her soul being sent away. The end. Really? Anti-climax ending. Oh wait, that's not the end, it's about the separation of Melanie and Wanda. Oh wait, that's also not the end... See, you need to watch the movie to realize the movie is dragging too long to end.

(10) Final verdict: 3 stars out of 5. True, it's not "Avatar" type of epic, but it's no "Twilight" type of disaster. There are some hits and misses, but mostly it is still watchable.

No comments:

Post a Comment