Just In Time

Just In Time

December Movie Journal

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

December, my most favorite month. Presumably all the good movies come out this month for maximum Oscar attention. No more superheroes or White House blown up, no more Dwayne Johnson or Michael Bay. It's also the time when movies like New Year's Eve and The Holiday ascent. Admittedly I love these two movies. Don't judge, everyone has their favorite bad movies, so am I. I have a lot.

Here's my December 2013 so far, a few notes on the movies I watched:



Frozen is loosely adapted from The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen? Really? I don't remember the main characters being two sisters, or they belted out songs in every occasion, or there being a snowman called Olaf, or thousand other things. Why must Disney make everything so sweet and all, with princesses and songs and everything? I like last year's Brave more.

You can watch a bad movie just for the very cool choreography, because practically everything else sucks. That's what I told myself after watching Battle of the Year.


Indie movie telling the story of ordinary people with no superhero or car racing or the end of the world will never come to the cinema near you in Malaysia. In another word, go look for it online. It's worth watching. It's called The Way Way Back.

Speaking of the end of the world, here's one funny take on the subject called The World's End. It's also not shown in Malaysia, but this time probably due to the role played by booze in the movie is so prominent they have no way of cutting it without messing up the whole plot line (not that they care, actually).


OK, I was wrong. Apparently they do show some movies with only ordinary people in it. Here's one example: Enough Said. Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini (RIP) are gems.





That last scene in Captain Phillips was the best performance of Tom Hanks in a long long time. The rest of the movie belongs to Barkhad Abdi.



 
Even when you have one of the worst movie titles in 2013, you can still have a good movie out of it. Seriously, what was Peter Jackson thinking when he named it The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?

P.S. Did you realize Peter Jackson is the first person to appear on screen?

P.S. I knew there was a reason why they cast someone young, handsome and charismatic as Kili! What I didn't know is that an elf and a dwalf can be so cute together.



I made a mistake by watching The Starving Games. Now I no longer can keep a straight face while watching The Hunger Games. You think Effie's hair was a mess? Try look at what's on this lady's head. Do not expect anything just watch it for extreme fun, ya dig?

The White Storm (扫毒), a typical HK action thriller with police force, drug lord and all, but still it was very good and I totally didn't see the second half of the movie coming. Hollywood can make hundreds of action thrillers starring Jason Statham or Dwayne Johnson but I'll say the best are from HK.



Let me tell you something: Everyone in Japan speaks English in everyday life, even the Samurai in 18th-century Japan. Don't believe it? Go watch 47 Ronin.




 

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, the last movie I'm gonna watch in cinema in 2013. I am so excited, so looking forward to it.